ForumsSupport ForumTwo Comment Boxes

91 14503
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

I suggest two comment boxes and this is why:

An easier way to see merits! With this second comment box in every game, there will be a separate section from regular comments given everyday, and the reviews where people work hard to receive merits on. AP would be the same (I guess) and those that accidentally post in the wrong box would just be set aside.

Reasons Why: This may sound a little selfish, but users post reviews that are indeed merit worthy, but there are comments posted by users that drag the review down, so it doesn't get voted up. And even if it does get voted up, the moderators aren't going to fish through so many pages of comments to find a review in one of a thousand games on AG, even if they try their best, which is why I came up with this suggestion.

Where it will be set in: Right under the description of course! There is PLENTY of room to add another dinky comment box for reviews only, so there shouldn't be any worry about it. Submitted games should only have a brief summary and a controls key on the description anyways. It would be to the left of the 1st box, and it would say &quotost this review", instead of &quotost this reply", while the comment time limit is still in effect. There will be a link to have the total reviews listed, as there already is for regular comments, right under the 2nd comments box.

Cons:
Uhm, I can only think of one, and that would be that users would accidentally post in the wrong box, which is why I also suggested to give the same amount of AP. Other than that, that's all I got at the moment.

So you see, this would be a great addition to the game comments, and it would be so much simpler to give a review! It wouldn't even need to get voted up, since it's RIGHT THERE in the comments. So what do you say AG users? Yay, or Nay?

• 91 Replies
dark_emperer
dark_emperer
14 posts
Nomad

Moderate the games further than the extent the moderators moderate in the first place? Making sure each comment box is correct with the good comments?

No, I completely reject this. The Staff of ArmorGames is likely already pressured enough to do a good job, as are any Staff. So no, a second comment box would not work well. If you want to see a good review, scroll a page or two and see total user like/dislike and a good review somewhere down the line.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Clap* Clap* Clap*!This is one of the most and best idea ever.I agree with it.This way mods will just identify them without having got look through pages and pages.You may give the mods a good and deserved rest!

I go with this idea 10000000%

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

No, I completely reject this. The Staff of ArmorGames is likely already pressured enough to do a good job, as are any Staff. So no, a second comment box would not work well. If you want to see a good review, scroll a page or two and see total user like/dislike and a good review somewhere down the line.

If you were a moderator, would you want to sift through 50 pages of hundreds of games?
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

If you were a moderator, would you want to sift through 50 pages of hundreds of games?

Agreed.Mods can't even do it.It takes them days or even weeks!
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Take that, and add it to every week or so. I do believe moderators need this to be added to the site. Users (try to) add reviews to game comments every day, and most of them aren't rewarded, not just because some weren't as structured as required, but because they were shifted from page to page by oncoming comments. As far as I know, the only good thing about voting up is for the merit review to be larger in font size, so it would be easier to see. Even so, you would have to go through a great many pages to search for that review. To my knowledge, reviews that are voted up aren't sent to moderators to be checked. This is all why I suggested this idea, so every review can get a fair chance.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

Yay and Nay. It gives two boxes to spam =(

But otherwise around that, I think it'd be easier, kinda, although I'd much rather have an 'archive' of the merits given on the game's comments than another box. Since you know you can't hand another box and expect everyone to be like "I'm going to obey the rules today" >.<
But it is a good idea, I think we should try it, because you never know, people might actually post in the right boxes

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Yay and Nay. It gives two boxes to spam =(

It would be to the left of the 1st box, and it would say &quotost this review", instead of &quotost this reply", while the comment time limit is still in effect.
Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

The best idea I've ever heard of on here. I hope the developers see this topic, because this is an extremely great idea.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I thought of this last week, but decided against suggesting it. A majority of the "merits" are nothing but elaborated "This is a good game." and I stand by that. That is what the feedback box is for.
Additionally, this would most likely raise merit standards, which I can agree with. Currently the "merit worthy" comments stand out amongst the shorter comments (and no, not all "long comments" are merits". By separating them, merits would be nothing special if almost every other comment was a merit comment. Only the Creme of the crop would pass. This pretty much invalidates the premise:

Not to nitpick, but I do not believe in such thing as a meritable comment. There are only non-quality comments and quality comments, which the mod may merit. Calling it a meritable comment devalues the quality of the comment by implying that it was written in hopes that a it would be merited.

This may sound a little selfish, but users post reviews that are indeed merit worthy, but there are comments posted by users that drag the review down, so it doesn't get voted up.

It wouldn't even need to get voted up, since it's RIGHT THERE in the comments.

Upvoting is utterly useless. People still get their friends to look at/upvote their comments. The mods don't take upvoting into consideration.

Uhm, I can only think of one, and that would be that users would accidentally post in the wrong box, which is why I also suggested to give the same amount of AP. Other than that, that's all I got at the moment.

It wouldn't be too much trouble to post in both boxes would it?

I wouldn't mind if there was a review submission and a comment submission, with the review of the game on a different course (kid of like what IMDb has). A review would be on a standard many times higher than the average merit and addresses not the game developer as "Quick Feedback" does but other players.

Yes! You should see what I do on Wikipedia!
Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

Yes! You should see what I do on Wikipedia!

I do this all the time. lol
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Not to nitpick, but I do not believe in such thing as a meritable comment. There are only non-quality comments and quality comments, which the mod may merit. Calling it a meritable comment devalues the quality of the comment by implying that it was written in hopes that a it would be merited.

These aren't merit comments we are talking about, we are talking about reviews... To include all of the areas of the specific game, users must go in-depth about the game and have a nice, detailed, structured post about their likes/dislikes about the game, with added improvements to the game if they wished. All this points to the length of the merit, and how it is easily pushed back because of normal comments. It would be increasingly slim to have that review noticed in a popular game, such as Sonny or FPAs (fancy pants adventures). As I said in the topic, all reviews should have an equal chance.
RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

Why doesn't the Review Box just be 0 AP(oh no I didn't) then? It's much easier and will get rid of the Point-lubbers no? Well most of them.
Hence why I said two boxes to spam, twice the AP, none the length of moving your finger to go somewhere else and spam, just stay on the same page ^~^
EMPHASIS!

GuitarGodGamer7
GuitarGodGamer7
25 posts
Nomad

I agree, and for that you should get a merit!!

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

I was iffy about AP gain in the reviews, but I guess 0 is fine, I have no objections. And again, that 30 second rule would still be in effect for both boxes, so it would be the same old situation, even with the new idea.

Edit: Review comments would be 0 AP

ParalysisTerror
ParalysisTerror
793 posts
Nomad

This is a great idea, but lets just hope the mods and admins say it's ok to do all this.

Showing 1-15 of 91