ForumsSupport ForumTwo Comment Boxes

91 14519
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

I suggest two comment boxes and this is why:

An easier way to see merits! With this second comment box in every game, there will be a separate section from regular comments given everyday, and the reviews where people work hard to receive merits on. AP would be the same (I guess) and those that accidentally post in the wrong box would just be set aside.

Reasons Why: This may sound a little selfish, but users post reviews that are indeed merit worthy, but there are comments posted by users that drag the review down, so it doesn't get voted up. And even if it does get voted up, the moderators aren't going to fish through so many pages of comments to find a review in one of a thousand games on AG, even if they try their best, which is why I came up with this suggestion.

Where it will be set in: Right under the description of course! There is PLENTY of room to add another dinky comment box for reviews only, so there shouldn't be any worry about it. Submitted games should only have a brief summary and a controls key on the description anyways. It would be to the left of the 1st box, and it would say &quotost this review", instead of &quotost this reply", while the comment time limit is still in effect. There will be a link to have the total reviews listed, as there already is for regular comments, right under the 2nd comments box.

Cons:
Uhm, I can only think of one, and that would be that users would accidentally post in the wrong box, which is why I also suggested to give the same amount of AP. Other than that, that's all I got at the moment.

So you see, this would be a great addition to the game comments, and it would be so much simpler to give a review! It wouldn't even need to get voted up, since it's RIGHT THERE in the comments. So what do you say AG users? Yay, or Nay?

• 91 Replies
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

No, it would serve us no point. If it says "merit box" People will post there saying can I have one? Hi! And other stupid things, and it would be just as hard to find merits anyway.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Then moderators would just delete those comments just like any other! Compared to comments (and the bad ones too), merits would be 200x larger. I'm not joking either, those 3 word spammers... And how would it be hard to find merits when they are all in one review link, and they are separated by the users names as usual?

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

These aren't merit comments we are talking about, we are talking about reviews...

Those are not reviews. Those are comments. A review is much more structured than most comments, templates or others. There are very few reviews (the long highly-structured comments) that I have seen. There are maybe 1 every 10 games. Tomato? Tamato? That's where this is going.

But,
This is the gist of what I've heard about merits from mods (bonus points if you can guess who): Merits are not to be taken for granted. You write. You wait. But do not expect a merit. Ever. Mods do not have to award any merits. They are not here to give users merits.
Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

How about people with high rankings only get to use the merit box.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

This is the gist of what I've heard about merits from mods (bonus points if you can guess who): Merits are not to be taken for granted. You write. You wait. But do not expect a merit. Ever. Mods do not have to award any merits. They are not here to give users merits.

I never did take merits for granted. This would just serve to cut the moderators' time by 90% for looking for merits. Not only do they post on the forums, do their duties, and correct people, but they play games and look at their comments too. If they try to find merits, it is TEDIOUS I'm sure.
Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

It might be easier to find your merits as well.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I can't believe how people don't like this idea.If you think of it, it's pretty solid and easy.

Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

I agree with you juan, this is a great idea.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

It wouldn't shave much time looking for the comments. They are barely on enough to have enough time to moderate, let alone merit, because regardless, time needs to be taken to read each comment. Elimination of the short one-liners are easy. If they have the time, they will/may push through random games. If you were here for the summer, then you may have seen what Carlie and DragonMistress were capable of. They were simply Awesome (with a capital A).

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I was here in the summer and they were Awesome with a "+" sign!But do you think this idea is good Gantic?

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

It wouldn't shave much time looking for the comments

If they have the time, they will/may push through random games.

Uhm... These two crossed each other out. And having this 2nd comment box would slash the time and effort by a large fraction, this is what I'm trying to get across here..

And no, I don't think he does by the looks of it. I think this would be an excellent idea...
RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

Okay, why not put something under the box saying something like this;
Want to Know How To Earn A Merit?
----------------------------------
Review Box:
Hi.
Can I Have A Merit?
----------------------------------
Note: This box does not
grant you or guarantee you a Merit.
Please Post Responsibly.

Or something similar so the people do not think they get a Merit for posting in the box?

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I was here in the summer and they were Awesome with a "+" sign!But do you think this idea is good Gantic?

Yes they were(/are?). My answer is on the first page. I'm not entirely against it, but I don't find it necessary, not at this point in time. If Armor Games has hundreds of thousands of active users, then maybe.
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Sure... There would still be plenty of room for that, I don't see the difference, since there will be ignorant users that will do that anyways. But since that 0 AP rule would be added, maybe it won't be that bad? Or am I being a little too naive?

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

I don't know. Merits should be more, um how should I put this, more outstanding. If you put a separate section it for actual reviews, it might not work out very well. And you are right about people "abusing" the other box. I have a hard time explaining the whole point of this : /

Showing 16-30 of 91