ForumsWEPRWhy Do Christians Tell Some Of Us We Are Going To Hell? [necro]

60 12111
LEAPretard
LEAPretard
1,328 posts
Nomad

I mean come on, I my self am a "Scientist" and I am obsessed with Space. But what nags me is that I am told I go to hell if I don't follow the bible? But wait.. I don't beleive in a god so I dont believe in hell. So.. why bother?

• 60 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The old word for Hell was Sheol meaning resting place, the common grave of everyone. Simply dead, nothing more. If it was a place of endless torture, why would Job have prayed to go there?

This was just the word later replaced by the word hell in the OT. The concept of Hell as we know it now comes from the NT.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

If you are a Christian that has read and understood the bible there should be no doubt in your mind that atheists are going to hell, it i spelled out, it is wishful thinking on the part of any Christian, you claim that God is the only one who knows his plans, why he does things, so be consistent, please tell me I'm going to hell otherwise I won't respect you. Don't ignore what is spelled out in your holy book

No, if you're a Christian who has read and understood the Bible, you should know that non-believers have the chance to repent, not go directly to "Hell."
grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

No, if you're a Christian who has read and understood the Bible, you should know that non-believers have the chance to repent, not go directly to "Hell."

Matthew 12:32
Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.
uselessnoob
uselessnoob
154 posts
Nomad

It's good business. Fear is a great motivator. Fear of eternal ****ation fills pews with uneducated folks who are more than willing to empty their wallets to fill collection plates. A church is simply a business that exploits fear and makes hollow promises.

Very much like Big Pharma come to think of it.

Funny how there is a inverse correlation between education levels and theism/deism.

Dregus2
Dregus2
502 posts
Blacksmith

but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Not being Christian isn't the same as speaking against the holy spirit.
uselessnoob
uselessnoob
154 posts
Nomad

Not being Christian isn't the same as speaking against the holy spirit.

Actually it kinda is. By not being a christian you are denouncing the faith and thus speaking against the "holy spirit". Religions are like that. You're either with us or you're against us. I prefer to think of it as coerced brand loyalty.

Drink Coke or go to hell. Drink Pepsi and be ****ed for eternity.

Sounds silly when applied to consumer products but the concept it the same.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Drink Coke or go to hell. Drink Pepsi and be ****ed for eternity.

RC Cola is the only true soft drink. :P
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

Funny how there is a inverse correlation between education levels and theism/deism.

What does this mean? Could you explain, I'm having trouble understanding.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The higher a persons education is the less likely the person is to hold theistic beliefs.
uselessnoob
uselessnoob
154 posts
Nomad

This may be a bit of a stretch, but I would suggest reading Evolution and Religion: Questioning the beliefs of the worlds eminent evolutionists by Greg Graffin. It is a PhD dissertation so it gets a bit wordy, but it illustrates well this correlation I mentioned
frisko12
frisko12
420 posts
Nomad

simple anwer to all of this.
Im a christian. hell is not fictional. it is a place god creatad to send unsaved sinners. hell is not a punishment.
when the world ends,you go to heaven or hell. If your not saved you cant get into heaven. therefore you go to hell.
any questions?

dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

@uselessnoob, I could probably read it. I'm pretty good in english and context clues. The trouble would be with getting the book. But I think mage explained it fine. I understand that with a higher education there would be things that tend to contridict some belifes of god. So this statement makes sense. Of course this doesn't work the other way though.

uselessnoob
uselessnoob
154 posts
Nomad

dair5:

I wasn't intending to imply that you wouldn't be able to read it. It's an obscure book, hard to obtain, and really, how often does someone actually read a book suggested by some random dude on the internet? That's why I said it would be a stretch. It is a tough read, highly technical, but very well written and presents an extremely educated argument. I've got a university degree (BSc.) and I had to look up a few words in that book.

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

any questions?

Yep.
There's a 300 page debate on Christianity and how true it may actually be. Can you at least give us proof, that does not include:
Biblical textures
Single (or a very small) eye-witness testimonies
Explainable "miracles"
And etc.

- H
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

@uselessnoob, oh I would definitly try to read it. It sounds intresting. But from the previous sentence i'd still probably be looking up tons of words.

Has anyone else noticed the way christian was spelled?

Showing 16-30 of 60